Moving to a new location

Pronouncements from on high
Forum rules
Rule 0: Don't be a dick.

Moving to a new location

Postby Grant » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:11 pm

Hi folks.

Long story short, there are potentially some problems with running the game in the Congregation Hall in the long term and for the April 24 game. Reasons are many and varied, but we're looking at moving on to somewhere else - we may still be able to run the game at CH in April if we can sort out the current problems, but we're preparing for the move if that's not possible.

Now, of course, we need your feedback on this. The way in which we run Zombie is run is going to change - we'll have to charge a bit more, mainly, but some other stuff too. We would appreciate it massively if you could answer the following questions - either in this thread or by PM or email if you'd rather.

We also want to assure everyone that if we do have to move the game, first dibs on places will go to those who have already signed up, followed by those on the waiting list.

We want to make Zombie bigger and better. In the past we've run it on a shoestring budget, with strict limits on weapons, props and levels of awesomeness as a result. In the future we want to be able to - for instance - kit out all the members of a team with Vulcans and headset radios, or run a massive 12-hour outbreak scenario. We want to make the experience better and more exciting for everyone. That's why we charge for our events at all, and that's what we're hoping we can achieve if we do have to move. We see it as an opportunity.

We might end up running outside Norwich, but only if the venue is worth it. At the moment we're eyeing up an abandoned shopping mall (yes, you know the one), an old shoe factory, a fifteen-bedroom mansion, and any warehouses or the like that we can get our hands on.

This isn't the end of Zombie, don't worry. It's going to get so much more awesome you could hardly imagine it.

Questions:

1. Would you be willing to travel for the game? (We know many of you already do, and thank you - would you be willing to travel somewhere else?)
2. What would make you more/less likely to travel? eg. distance limits, presence of organised transport such as minibuses, overnight accommodation.
3. How much would you be willing to shell out for an all-day event in Norwich? How does that change if we move somewhere else?
Grant
One man army

Re: Moving to a new location

Postby little_wh0re » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:50 pm

Also. If happen to know of any sites that you think would be really good for zombie we would love to hear about them.
I am just a worthless liar, I am just an imbecile,
I will work to elevate you just enough to bring you down.
I will find the centre in you, I will chew it up and leave
I will work to elevate you just enough to bring you down
Trust me
little_wh0re
Some bees

WordPress Blog: Visit User's Blog

Postby trs998 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:57 pm

1. Would you be willing to travel for the game? (We know many of you already do, and thank you - would you be willing to travel somewhere else?)
Yes, but then it'd have to involve a local hotel (drive there, do the event and then sleeeeeeep) and therefore an extra day of my time - this should be fine for me, but might trip a few people up.

2. What would make you more/less likely to travel? eg. distance limits, presence of organised transport such as minibuses, overnight accommodation.
If I couldn't stay overnight and had to drive a long way I'd have a problem. Organised travel not important (I'd be taking a car and therefore giving lifts). As for distance... a comfortable day's driving would put me in Scotland, so I'm not too fussed about that. a minibus would be more tiring and slower, though. I'd be thinking about venues on a train route, or being very organised in Norwich re: liftshares.

3. How much would you be willing to shell out for an all-day event in Norwich? How does that change if we move somewhere else?
An all day event with good props from any sort of commercial venture I would expect to be quite expensive, and I wouldn't be unduly put out by £100. 6 hours skiing trial, wither organisation and equipment provided runs to £50, as what i would see as an equivalent example.
Notably, I'd be shelling out (assuming midlands) probably £150 for fuel, food and a hotel, so whether the event would be £10 or £50 is not actually that important.

How does one get hold of a 15 bedroom mansion then? Everyone I know with one is rather attached to theirs...

Bear in mind I'm not a student with the time/job constraints and therefore am probably not a representative example of your customer base!
trs998
Raw recruit

Postby Tank » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:31 pm

Grant wrote:1. Would you be willing to travel for the game? (We know many of you already do, and thank you - would you be willing to travel somewhere else?)

I would, but would prefer a venue closer to Norwich if possible, otherwise - as Tristan said - hotels happen and things get much more pricey.

Grant wrote:2. What would make you more/less likely to travel? eg. distance limits, presence of organised transport such as minibuses, overnight accommodation.

Venues on a train route. Any other type of transport makes me puke, so whilst Gamessoc minibuses would be awesome, no-one would want to sit next to me just in case D:

Grant wrote:3. How much would you be willing to shell out for an all-day event in Norwich? How does that change if we move somewhere else?

I've been to events where a pass for a full weekend was £40, and I've been to events where a day pass was £9, it really depends on the cost of the venue + cost of equipment/props + cost of whatever else, I suppose. Sorry I can't be more precise :[
Tank
Radio operator

Postby Castellan » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:38 am

Yes, distance/sleep requirements would be very similar to Tristan's. I have a semi-reliable car with room for 6 passengers or a lot of kit. I'm also old and curmudgeonly enough that my driving licence allows me to drive a mini-bus with provision for up to 16 passengers and a hire company would insure me.

All would help/hinder as appropriate on a sliding scale. If it is any help when I went gallivanting off to meet Eddings fans from around the Intrawebz we hired entire Youth Hostels during the non-summer months.

Up to £20 without much pain. Up to £50 if it's mere description and a few pictures of a disused Mall engendered an over-excited ZOMG! reaction. (That last scenario may have recently happened).
Castellan
Radio operator

Postby Seph » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:17 pm

Happy to travel, but being a student, paying for hotels is bad, so.. nearby field for camping? :P

Basically, as long as transport is available in a sort of 'bus then train then a bit of a walk' method. Getting multiple trains, then picking up unknown buses to strange locations sounds like too much hassle.

Willing to shell out a good chunk for an all-day event in Norwich (£30-40 -ish). Less if I have to pay for transport to get elsewhere, obviously.
Seph
Raw recruit

Postby tillymint » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:35 pm

As for myself, I'd be happy to pay the standard residential/weekend larp price of £30-50¹, though I would be expecting camp space, at the very least, to be included. Obviously I travel a really really long way to Zombie (probably the furthest of anyone? Four hours, motherfuckers!) so I'm quite happy to continue to do so, or even to shorten my distance considerably if you moved somewhere away from the arse end of nowhere - sorry, I meant 'Norwich'.

Of course, you know this, and it's not really a surprise to you. The question is whether the majority of your current playerbase will be able/willing/bothered to do this. I should think that most likely they won't all. However, I know that you've built up some good kudos nationally which you've yet to exploit due to a) being stuck in said arse-end, b) being targeted at UEA students and c) being set up in such a way that accommodation is not considered (and that one has proved tricky even for me, with plenty of Narch chums). So I think you may well, with some publicity, get a whole new set of players. The question is, would you be prepared for/open to the changes that that would probably additionally bring to your game?

¹ Disclaimer: due to travel costs I already pay about £35 to get to each game, whereas if it were in the Midlands this would be roughly £15, and if you were in that mall... £3.50 - of course for all the Norfolkians this is inverse.
tillymint
Raw recruit

Postby Grant » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:56 pm

tillymint wrote:The question is, would you be prepared for/open to the changes that that would probably additionally bring to your game?

Scared and prepared. This is a huge deal for us, but we'll do it if he have to. Nothing's stopping Zombie from happening.
Grant
One man army

Postby Toby Kelly » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:36 pm

Heya folks,
just thought id tell you guys i went and spoke to norwich city council and there currently looking at places we could be able to rent and use ill let you all know what i hear
Toby Kelly
Raw recruit

Postby Grant » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:42 pm

Wow, thanks dude!
Grant
One man army

Next

Return to News